States tend to have helpful online resources for setting up a company. In Oregon, the Oregon Secretary of State Corporate Division website provides many useful links for setting up your business:
- The Business Name Search lets you check to see if the name you want is already taken in Oregon
- The Oregon Business Guide provides a great deal of information on the things to check when setting up a business (zoning, local business license, etc.)
- The Forms and Fees link provides the registration form you’ll need.
Federal Tax ID
All businesses, except certain sole proprietors, are required to obtain a federal tax identification number which is also referred to as an employer identification number (EIN). Sole proprietors and certain Limited Liability Companies must have an EIN if they:
- Pay wages to one or more employees, or
- Must file any pension or excise tax returns including those for alcohol, tobacco, or firearms, or
- Have a state requirement to have an EIN to obtain a business license.
You can apply for an EIN on the IRS website.
Zoning and Business Licenses
Be sure to check on whether there are zoning or local business licensing requirements for your business.